The Purpose of this blog

Your task on this blog is to write a brief summary of what we learned in class today. Include enough detail so that someone who was ill or missed the class can catch up with what they missed. Over the course of the term, these 'class scribe' posts will grow to be a guide for the course, written by students for students.

With each post ask yourself the following questions:
1) Is this good enough for our guide?
2) Will your post enable someone who wasnt here to catch up?
3) Would a graphic/video/link help to illustrate what we have learned?


Wednesday 14 September 2011

Macbeth

The learning objectives were:
- To review the witches predictions.
- To understandhow language of Act 1 reflects the characters personalities.

After that, Mr. Chatterley gave us a quick quiz on the story of Macbeth so far. I can't remember the questions and they went too fast for me to write down, so here's the answers:

1- You'll be King, the Thane of Glamis and Cawdor
2- Your decendants will be King.
3- How can I be the Thane of Cawdor? Why did you tell me this?
4- Excited and confused.
5- Doesn't know what to think.
6- Going to be the Thane of Cawdor.
7- Reference to the devil.
8- The original Thane has his title stripped.
9- Thinks he must be destined to be King.
10- "Two truths are told,
As happy prologue to the swelling act,
of the imperial theme."

I don't know if that helps anyone at all but it's what I had written in my book.

We then moved on to answering the question "How could Lady Macbeth's thought's be revelaed through the delivery of the script?" (studying form and language). We discussed her possibly using a more aggressive tone. Afterwards, we discussed how Lady Macbeth would read the letter sent to her. The conclusion was she'd probably be "intrigued".

We did a little more reading and got up to Act 1, Scene 7 which brought us to a point where Macbeth was trying to convince himself not to kill Duncan. He had a long speech and with this we were required to analyse parts of the speech wich we believed to show that he didn't want to kill Duncan - among these were:

- "Could trammed up the consequences." = He doesn't like the consequences that may occur.
- "be-all and end-all" = might ruin everything for him.
- "we still have judgement here" = possibly afraid of being judged, possibly by God.
- "pity's like a newborn" = pity's Duncan.
- "I am his Kinsman and his subject" = doesn't want to stab him in the back (literally) and betray him after all the faith Duncan's shown in him.

Homework:
- What does conversation between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth tell us about about each character? Show how she bully's him.
- Learn Act 2, Scene 1 soliloquay. I'll post the soliloquay below later just to make my blog post look longer.

Never speak or make contact during the blog selection.

Daniel.

3 comments:

  1. the soliloquay can be found on page 41 of the Macbeth book

    "Is this a dagger which I see before me,
    The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutchthee.
    I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
    Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
    To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
    A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
    Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
    I see thee yet, in form as palpable
    As this which now I draw.
    Thou marshall’st me the way that I was going;
    And such an instrument I was to use.
    Mine eyes are made the fools o’ the other senses,
    Or else worth all the rest; I see thee still,
    And on thy blade and dudgeon gouts of blood,
    Which was not so before. There’s no such thing:
    It is the bloody business which informs
    Thus to mine eyes. Now o’er the one halfworld
    Nature seems dead, and wicked dreams abuse
    The curtain’d sleep; witchcraft celebrates
    Pale Hecate’s offerings, and wither’d murder,
    Alarum’d by his sentinel, the wolf,
    Whose howl’s his watch, thus with his stealthy pace.
    With Tarquin’s ravishing strides, towards his design
    Moves like a ghost. Thou sure and firm-set earth,
    Hear not my steps, which way they walk, for fear
    Thy very stones prate of my whereabout,
    And take the present horror from the time,
    Which now suits with it. Whiles I threat, he lives:
    Words to the heat of deeds too cold breath gives."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gender roles are certainly switched due to the Hard/aggressive nature of Lady Macbeth and the reluctant, cowardice nature of Macbeth. I think Lady Macbeth's behaviour will cause serious problems in the latter Acts, as she is propelled by the idea of death and revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The issue of gender roles here are quite similar to The Bloody Chambers. Aisha

    ReplyDelete